Yes. The cancellation or surrendering of the Tax Deduction and Account Number (TAN) is usually done under two situations:

  1. When the duplicate TAN has been allotted

  2. And, where the TAN allotted is not required anymore by the assessee or deductor

In the first situation, the deductor needs to file form for Change or Correction in TAN with TIN NSDL for the cancellation of the Duplicate TAN. Likewise, in the second situation, the deductor has to make an application with the jurisdictional Assessing Officer(A.O) by stating the reasons for the cancelation request.